WASHINGTON, DC (November 7, 2012) -- NGP VAN, which counts as clients most Democrats from President Obama’s campaign to City Council candidates, helped Democrats ride people power to victory yesterday. NGP VAN’s products saw enormous activity:
- VAN, the field product, powered over 260 million phone calls and 92 million door knocks
- NGP, the fundraising product, helped Democratic clients raise over $2 billion dollars this cycle -- the vast majority of money raised by Democrats
- NGP VAN Digital products (which are recommended by the DCCC, DLCC, EMILY’s List, and America Votes) sent hundreds of millions of emails, helping clients raise hundreds of millions of dollars online, from millions of supporters
While there are many factors that determine electoral outcomes, many independent observers had pegged President Obama and other Democratic campaigns’ ability to win in the face of record spending by Republican Super PACs to their edge in the ground game. In addition to a deep bench of well-trained staff and a superior enhanced voter file, Democrats benefitted from the technology edge over Republicans provided by NGP VAN.
“Our mission is to provide Democrats and progressives with a technology edge, and we’re proud that this cycle, we’ve done that,” said Stu Trevelyan, NGP VAN’s CEO. “We know that the only way to keep the edge next cycle is to continue to innovate new products like Social Organizing.”
The Democratic Technology Advantage
Democrats had an edge this cycle over Republicans in several ways. First, Republicans continue to lack a collaborative voter file tool like VAN, where information such as who has voted can be shared across many campaigns. Second, Republican tools failed under pressure: while NGP VAN’s Mobile Pollwatcher performed without hiccup on Election Day, Politico reported that Republicans are calling Romney’s much vaunted Project ORCA “nothing short of a failure.” And third, Republicans lacked a feature-rich suite of integrated field, fundraising, and digital tools of the same quality as those offered by NGP VAN.
NGP VAN’s newest product, Social Organizing is an example of the company’s ongoing innovation. It was used by candidates ranging in size from Elizabeth Warren (MA Sen), to Maggie Hassan (NH Gov), to Alan Grayson (FL-9). The product matches supporters' Facebook friends to the voter file, then walks supporters through strategically targeted interactions with their friends. NGP VAN also worked on other innovations, like the Obama campaigns’ mobile iOS and Android apps.
Candidates and organizations relying on NGP VAN yesterday included:
- President Obama’s re-election campaign
- Every national Democratic party committee, including the DNC, DSCC, DCCC, DGA, and DLCC
- Every winning Democratic U.S. Senate Campaign, including Elizabeth Warren (MA), Tim Kaine (VA), and Tammy Baldwin (WI)
- Dozens of other Democratic statewide victors, including Maggie Hassan (NH Gov), Earl Ray Tomblin (WV Gov), and Jay Nixon (MO Gov)
- A vast majority of the Democrats winning U.S. House seats (almost 90% of winners, with a number of races yet to be called), including Patrick Murphy (who knocked off incumbent Republican Allen West in FL-18), Cheri Bustos (who knocked off an incumbent Republican Bobby Schilling in IL-17), and Sean Patrick Maloney (who knocked off an incumbent Republican Nan Hayworth in NY-18)
- Every active Democratic state legislative caucus, including new Democratic majorities in the Colorado House, Maine House and Senate, Minnesota House and Senate, New York Senate, and Oregon House
- Thousands of winning downticket candidates
- Almost every major active progressive PAC and non-profit, from Planned Parenthood to the League of Conservation Voters to EMILY’s List
- Almost every politically active labor organization including the AFL-CIO and SEIU
ABOUT NGP VAN
NGP VAN is the leading technology provider to Democratic and progressive campaigns and organizations, offering clients an integrated platform of the best fundraising, field, and new media products. NGP VAN counts thousands of Democratic campaigns and progressive organizations amongst its clients, including President Obama’s re-election, all the national Democratic committees, thousands of Democratic campaigns including almost every winning Democratic U.S. Senate candidate, most of the U.S. House winning candidates, and hundreds of labor unions, progressive and non-partisan PACs, and other organizations.
Obama and thousands of other clients win